- Plastic Skulls (Dollar Tree)
- White Tissue Paper (Dollar Tree)
- Mod Podge
- Acrylic Paints
- Glue Gun and Glue
When it comes to some things, I'm pretty easily pleased. One of those things is a trip to The Dollar Tree. $20 spent there is a joyous thing! On my last trip, I found a Witch Wreath Frame. I've seen these projects in years past but have not had luck finding the frame. No more!! Some fabric, ribbon, a few ornaments and voila: my Witch Hat Frame Wreath!
I had some grey ultrasuede-y fabric in my stash. I cut it in two strips, measuring approx 5 inches by 48 inches. Tied a corner of one strip to the corner of the wreath frame as shown:
Anchor your fabric with hot glue and wrap the top of the frame, leaving the brim section uncovered. When you reach the end of the first strip, glue the second to the first and keep wrapping until you reach the top. Cut off any excess, tuck and glue edges.
Now that the top of your hat is wrapped, time to do the brim! I used the decorative mesh I found at Dollar Tree ( and bought 2 more rolls because it's black and white so of course!) , some I had on hand along with some dark grey and black organza I had on hand. You'll want three strips for each bundle.
Make your bundles. Starting at one end ( short side ) scrunch / gather / pinch each strip. Hold the shape with either a binder clip or clothespin and when you have three (black and white, grey, organza) tie together w/ a pipe cleaner:
Of course I would take a picture of one of the two clusters I made w/out organza because I didn't have enough but you get the idea! I made 10 clusters. Using the ends of the pipe cleaners, secure to the brim part of the frame.
Once the brim was filled in, I made a bow from some ribbon in my stash and tied to the frame with the pipe cleaner ends from the bow. To finish everything off, I grabbed some of the black mini ornaments from a previous trip and which I used on my Gothic Batty Wreath , strung them on a pipe cleaner and made a cluster for the center of the bow.
I popped into Dollar Tree recently since I've been seeing some fun finds on different blogs. Just my luck, I didn't find what I went for but can you ever leave Dollar Tree empty handed? Not me! The end result is this Gothic Batty Wreath using a wire frame and ornaments I picked up on my visit.
I also picked up these cool straw brooms that I thought I was going to use in this project but ended up saving for something else.
The fabric scrap I had was about 36 inches long and 9 inches wide so I cut it in half to make two 4.5 x 36 strips and wrapped the wreath form adhering with hot glue.
I cut out 8 pairs of bats (16 total) on my Cricut Explore 2 using black cardstock.
I scored each bat down the middle and then layered using foam tape to give each pair some depth and dimension. Then, hot glued as shown towards the inside of the wreath. Never one to leave well enough alone, because I debated...I kind of liked the simplicity of it but...I had those cool black ornaments to use!
I removed the ornament caps and then glued groups of three ornaments around the wreath. They come in matte, shiny, and glitter. I ended up using about 1.5 packages and still have the same amount left over which means I guess I'll have to make something else! I also remembered I had these paper flowers in my stash. Last September we were at Disneyland which was all decorated for Halloween. My favorite was The Haunted Mansion which each normal year ( so not 2020!) they turn into "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and this was shaping up to remind me of that. Creepy yet pretty.
I added the flowers to the ornament clusters and then because "it don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that bling" finished with some self adhesive rhinestones.
Yep. I got that stray glue string.