Monday, September 21, 2020

Halloween Decor: Witch Hat Frame Wreath


When it comes to some things, I'm pretty easily pleased. One of those things is a trip to The Dollar Tree. $20 spent there is a joyous thing! On my last trip, I found a Witch Wreath Frame. I've seen these projects in years past but have not had luck finding the frame. No more!! Some fabric, ribbon, a few ornaments and voila: my Witch Hat Frame Wreath!


  • Wire Witch Hat Frame $1 (Dollar Tree)
  • Black and White Check Decorative Mesh $1 (Dollar Tree) 
  • Black Mini Ornaments $1 (Dollar Tree) 
  • Fabric ( Stash)
  • Grey Decorative Mesh ( Stash)
  • Grey and Black Organza (Stash)
  • Decorative Ribbon (Stash) 
  • Pipe Cleaners (Stash)
  • Hot Glue and Glue Gun ( Stash) 

Step 1:

I had some grey ultrasuede-y fabric in my stash. I cut it in two strips, measuring approx  5 inches by 48 inches. Tied a corner of one strip to the corner of the wreath frame as shown: 

Step 2: 

Anchor your fabric with hot glue and wrap the top of the frame, leaving the brim section uncovered. When you reach the end of the first strip, glue the second to the first and keep wrapping until you reach the top. Cut off any excess, tuck and glue edges. 

Step 3:

Now that the top of your hat is wrapped, time to do the brim! I used the decorative mesh I found at Dollar Tree ( and bought 2 more rolls because it's black and white so of course!) , some I had on hand along with some dark grey and black organza I had on hand. You'll want three strips for each bundle. 

Step 4: 

Make your bundles. Starting at one end (  short side ) scrunch / gather / pinch each strip. Hold the shape with either a binder clip or clothespin and when you have three (black and white, grey, organza) tie together w/ a pipe cleaner: 

Of course I would take a picture of one of the two clusters I made w/out organza because I didn't have enough but you get the idea!  I made 10 clusters. Using the ends of the pipe cleaners, secure to the brim part of the frame. 

Step 5:

Step 6:

Once the brim was filled in, I made a bow from some ribbon in my stash and tied to the frame with the pipe cleaner ends from the bow. To finish everything off, I grabbed some of the black mini ornaments from a previous trip and which I used on my Gothic Batty Wreath , strung them on a pipe cleaner and made a cluster for the center of the bow. 

Even happier with the end result  than I was about  my well spent $20 at Dollar Tree! Based on what I already had on hand, my total cost for this was $2!


Artsy VaVa said...

I love this project. Thanks for sharing!

Denise/My Home of All Seasons said...

Cute idea and great tutorial! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Our Hopeful Home said...

I can see why you're happy with this - truly fabulous! I have yet to master the mesh ribbon:( Great job. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. Pinned! xo Kathleen

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

Such a cute Halloween wreath!