I continue to "upscale" my Halloween decor. Since PhD Man left for college I've switched out a bit each year. This year I knew I wanted some more candleholders to give height and depth to my Halloween decor so, masked up and went to my local Goodwill to see what I could find because as Makers, we're not going to go pay big money for the look we want right?
- Thrifted Candleholders
- Acrylic Paints ( I used Craftsmart Dark Grey, Black and Martha Stewart Metallic Titanium)
- Antique Gold Rub n Buff
Here's what I found: three un related pieces that would work together
I have no idea what the one on the left is made of but it's heavy ! I cleaned my finds to get any residue off and then got to work!
After cleaning, removing stickers etc. paint with a base coat to make everything match. I used Craftsmart Acrylic paint from Michaels in Dark Grey:
I like how they almost look like cement but I wanted more shine.
Once they were dry, I went back over them with Martha Stewart Metallic Titanium (also Michaels). But then they were too shiny! So I dabbed on a black glaze and wiped off to age them just the right amount. I'm like Goldilocks...too matte...too shiny...just right.
I wanted to bring out the detail and the raised edges so I grabbed the Rub n Buff from my Faux Spooky Candle project and went over the raised areas, finishing the "buff" part with a soft cloth.
I'm so happy with how the turned out and coordinate not only with each other but the rest of my decor! While I made these for Halloween decorating, I kept them versatile enough that I can use whenever. Total cost: $9 for all three pieces.
Until next time...