Monday, August 14, 2017

Another Altered Cabinet Door: NEST Sign


I mentioned in an earlier post how I love using cabinet doors for projects. I usually find mine at a local architectural salvage place and got this one along with a previous one for a donation of $5 ( for both) to Habitat for Humanity. 

We have a lot of blank wall space which I don't actually mind, but it's also great for when an idea does hit because  I haven't had to take something else down. This will hang in our TV watching area where we end up spending a fair amount of our time .  This is where I find out all of the latest intrigue on "Game of Thrones", say goodbye to my Sestras on "Orphan Black", see who's up to what on "Scandal" and "How to Get Away With Murder" and Netflix and chill.

We also read here when the TV's not on. We're homebodies so the them of "Nest" seemed appropriate.

Supplies: 
  • Salvaged Cabinet Door
  • Acrylic Paints
  • White School Glue
  • Printed Tissue Paper (Recollections)
  • Mod Podge
  • Adhesive Foil (I used Cricut Gold Metallic)
  • Scrabbook Paper (C'oredinations Cream and Black) 
  • Misc Embellishments
  • Die Cut and/or Electronic Cutting Machine (Silhouette and Cuttlebug)


The wooden wings will be part of another post but I took a pic of the unfinished cabinet door with them so more on that later in the week. 




I painted the "frame" of the door with black acrylic paint (I used Craftsmart). Taped off the edges and then painted the interior with cream acrylic paint. 


I didn't worry about complete coverage of the interior because I knew I'd be putting the tissue paper here.  Cut the tissue paper to size and then apply using Mod Podge. 

Measured out my tissue paper before I painted
Using my favorite white glue technique, I crackled the frame of the door. Basically paint a layer of glue ; let dry until tacky but not completely dry ; paint over w/ contrasting color. 

Tip: You want to use long even strokes and go in one direction, not up and down. Back to School is the perfect time to stock up on cheap, white, glue! 


While that was drying, I laid out my design on my Silhouette Cameo, then cut the images and lettering using Cricut Gold Foil. 

Enter frustration. When I applied the foil pieces, the transfer tape pulled up the Mod Podged tissue paper in some spots. The nice thing about working w/ the tissue paper was that it was easy to tear some "matching" pieces and just repair those spots with a little more Mod Podge. 


I don't think you can really tell where I had to patch. I used my Cuttlebug to cut the flowers ( Tim Holtz Tattered Florals) rolled the edges and added rolled roses in the center. I rummaged around in my mismatched embellishment stash and found some swirly things ( technical term) that I painted to match and put on the nest image and the corners of the door. 



4 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

Awesome!

Michelle L. said...

Sweet and cool, babe! I like the almost wreath-like nest silhouette!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Your awesome talent strikes again! Such lovely wall art from a cabinet door ~ great upcycle project! With fall on its way this will be a great stay at home by the fire reminder! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! Love it when you can drop by:)
xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

Roman lesnar said...

This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your observations very clear and easy to understand. Thank you. Click here to Visit the Website